Apple Butter Sweet Potatoes
Truly scrumptious, healthy & easy to make. A fantastic side dish for the holidays or any time of the year. If you need to feed a crowd, just double, triple or quadruple the recipe & you’re all set!
Serves: 3 to 4
3 evenly sized large sweet potatoes (about 2 lbs), rinsed
3 Tblsp butter at room temperature
1/4 cup apple butter, no sugar or sweeteners
1 Tblsp organic maple syrup
Fresh grated nutmeg (see Tip# 1)
Optional: table salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Place the potatoes on a large, foiled lined, rimmed baking sheet. Pierce the top & sides of potatoes, 5 to 7 times, with a fork.
3. Bake for 1 hour or till very tender all the way through.
4. Remove from oven & let sit 5 minutes. Slice each potato in half lengthwise.
5. Scoop out all the flesh into a 2.5 quart bowl. Add butter, apple butter & maple syrup.
6. Mash all the ingredients together until well combined.
7. Serve with some fresh grated nutmeg & a little salt, if using.
Tips & Suggestions
1. In any recipe that calls for nutmeg, I always suggest using fresh grated nutmeg & not the store bought variety. The aroma & taste of fresh grated nutmeg is beyond compare!