21st Century BLT
I’ve updated your standard BLT to a healthier version fit for the 21st century… enjoy!
2 slices of Food for Life 7 sprouted grains bread (see Tip# 1)
1 to 2 Tblsp Smart Balance light mayonnaise (see Tip# 2)
Handful of Earthbound Farms Kale Italia or other organic power greens mixture
2 slices from an organic tomato
2 slices of Applegate Sunday bacon or other brand of bacon uncured, no nitrates, from humanely raised pigs, cooked & drained on paper towels (see Perfect Easy Bacon in the Meat category)
Optional for serving:
Black olives – large, whole & pitted (or whatever type & size you like)
Terra chips Exotic Potato Blend or frozen sweet potato fries (baked according to pkg directions)
Dill pickle (see Tip# 4)
1. Lightly toast the bread & cool to room temperature.
2. Slather mayonnaise on both pieces of bread.
3. Assemble sandwich by adding the greens, topped with tomato slices & then bacon.
4. Slice sandwich in half & serve, either with or without optional serving ingredients.
Tips & Suggestions
1. You can find Food for Life breads in the frozen food area of most large supermarkets. You can, of course, use any healthy bread you desire.
2. Give this sandwich a little “kick” by stirring 1/4 tsp (or less) of Sriracha sauce into the mayo.
3. Applegate bacon takes me back to the way bacon tasted when I was growing up in the 1950’s & 60’s, not like the stuff they try to pawn off today as bacon. You’ll find Applegate products in most large supermarkets, generally in the deli dept.
4. Claussen refrigerated mini dill pickles are my favorites, as they have a nice crunch to them… or use whatever brand or type you prefer.