Avocado Facts & Preparing Techniques
An avocado is actually a fruit, it is thought to have originated in Mexico & is one of the healthiest foods on the planet. Avocados contain in excess of 25 essential nutrients, including vitamin A, B, C, E, & K, copper, iron, phosphorus, magnesium & potassium. Avocados also contain fiber, protein & several beneficial phytochemicals such as beta-sitosterol, glutathione and lutein, which may protect against various diseases and illnesses. Even though avocados are high in fat content, it’s mostly the healthy monounsaturated fat which is the type you want in your diet.
Pick avocados that are at just the right stage of ripeness, firm but starting to soften when gently pressing the skin
1. Technique for cutting open an avocado & cutting it into cubes or slices: Using a knife; score the avocado down to the seed & all the way around.
2. Holding both sides in your cupped hand, twist the sides in opposite directions to open up into 2 halves & stab the seed with a knife.
3. Twist the knife to remove the seed.
4. Make 4 to 6 scores, lengthwise, all the way down to the skin, but not through it (if making slices move on to step# 5) & then do the same crossways till you end up with cube shapes.
5. Scoop out the avocado with a spoon & gently separate the slices or cubes.