Avocados Stuffed with Crabmeat Salad
I love this recipe for so many reasons, not the least of which is that it’s so easy to prepare. It’s healthy, delicious & makes a great appetizer, snack, light lunch or side dish.
Serves: 4 to 8
1/2 cup Smart Balance light mayonnaise, use 1/3 cup if you prefer
2 Tblsp fresh squeezed lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp Hungarian hot paprika
1/4 tsp kosher or sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper, 4 pepper mill turns
1 lb crabmeat (see Tip# 1)
2 scallions, sliced thin (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
4 Hass avocados
1. In a 1.5 quart bowl; mix the mayonnaise, lime juice, coriander, cumin, paprika, salt & pepper till well combined.
2. Add the crabmeat, scallions & red onion. Stir gently until well mixed.
3. Cover & refrigerate 1 to 2 hours before serving, allowing the ingredients to marry & attain maximum flavor.
4. Wash & dry the avocados, then halve & remove pits (see Avocado Facts & Preparing Techniques in the Fruit category).
5. Stuff each avocado half with some of the crabmeat salad & serve right away.
Tips & Suggestions
1. I suggest using a really good brand of canned crabmeat, which you can find in most supermarkets in the refrigerated section of the seafood area. Pick a brand, like Byrd (pictured), which is all claw meat or one where at least 1/2 the can is comprised of lump crabmeat.