Coconut Ginger Rice
This rice has a great creamy texture & wonderful flavor. Makes a terrific side with Asian dishes or alongside steak, chicken or pork. You could also turn this into a vegetarian meal for 3 by adding 3 cups of roasted or steamed vegetables… such as a colorful combo of carrots, cauliflower & broccoli or whatever are your faves.
1 1/2 Tblsp organic, shredded, unsweetened coconut
1 – 13.5oz can organic, unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup organic chicken broth or water
2 tsp peeled & finely chopped fresh ginger
1 cup Jasmine rice (uncooked)
1/2 tsp zest from an organic lemon
2 organic scallions, sliced thin (about 1/3 cup)
Optional: table salt
Optional for garnish: lemon slices & chopped fresh cilantro or parsley leaves
1. Heat a small skillet on medium heat till hot. Add coconut, cook & stir about 2 minutes till toasted to a light golden color. Remove from heat & set aside for garnishing.
2. Combine coconut milk & chicken broth in bowl & whisk till smooth.
3. Add coconut milk/broth & ginger in a 2 quart pot. Bring to a boil over med-high heat.
4. Reduce heat to warm, stir in rice, cover & simmer 15 to18 minutes till all liquid is absorbed & rice is tender.
5. Remove from heat & let sit, covered for 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Add zest & scallions & fluff with a fork to mix. Salt to taste, if desired.
7. Serve garnished with toasted coconut & any of the optional garnishes, if using.