Corn & Black Bean Salad
Without a doubt, this is the easiest recipe I’ve ever created. Bright & colorful, it’s especially delicious served with your favorite Mexican dish. I’ve also served it with steak, chicken & even ribs. For a terrific lunch or light dinner for #MeatlessMonday, serve it on top of a bed of organic baby greens like a kale/spinach blend or whatever baby greens you like.
This travels well, so it’s a great dish to bring to a party, picnic or pot luck. Simply double, triple or quadruple the ingredients & you’re all set!
Serves: 4 to 6
1 – 15 oz can gold & white corn, drained & rinsed under cold water (see Tip# 1)
1 – 15 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed under cold water
1/2 – 15 oz tub Rojo’s Homestyle Salsa, medium heat or use whatever brand or heat you desire (see Tip# 2)
1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
1/4 tsp kosher or sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper, 12 pepper mill turns
1 Tblsp (packed) roughly chopped fresh cilantro
Optional for serving: sprinkle on a little crumbled goat cheese & top with some roasted piñon (pine) nuts
1. Place the first 7 ingredients (corn thru cilantro) in a 1 1/2 quart glass bowl.
2. Gently toss & mix till well combined. Cover & refrigerate 2 hours or more to allow the ingredients to marry.
3. For maximum flavor, remove from frig 1 hour before serving.
4. Gently stir again just before serving. Plate up your servings & top with any optional ingredients.
5. Cover & refrigerate any leftovers. Best if used up within a couple of days.
Tips & Suggestions
1. If you have any leftover roasted corn on the cob, cut all the kernels off the cob & use that instead of canned corn. You’ll need 2 to 3 ears depending on size, about 1 1/2 to 2 cups.
2. Rojo’s is a fresh salsa, found in most supermarkets in one of the refrigerated sections.