Get Up and Go Smoothie
This smoothie is loaded with health benefits & has a great flavor, the best reasons to add this to your morning routine a couple of times a week!
1/2 cup orange juice (not from concentrate)
1/2 cup organic vanilla yogurt
1 Tblsp honey, preferably raw
1/2 cup frozen banana slices (see Tips# 1 & 2)
3/4 cup frozen mango or papaya chunks
1 tsp spirulina (see Tip# 3)
1/4 cup tightly packed organic baby spinach or a combo of baby spinach & baby kale leaves
1. Put orange juice, yogurt & honey in a Bullet type blender cup & stir till well combined with the other ingredients (see Tips# 4 & 5).
2. Add banana, mango, spirulina & spinach/kale.
3. Process till blended & smooth. Do not over blend.
Tips & Suggestions
1. Freeze bananas ahead of time. Choose fresh bananas that are partially green or just turned yellow with no brown spots. The more they ripen the sweeter they become & have a higher calorie count.
2. Slice bananas about 1/2″ thick & place, in a single layer, in a quart sized freezer bag. Freeze & use them within 2 weeks or so.
3. Spirulina is generally from the Pacific ocean near Hawaii & is known as nature’s multi-vitamin. It also makes a fantastic natural green food coloring. You can find it in powdered form in most health food stores.
4. The reason for the extra step of stirring is because the honey tends to clump & stick to the Bullet cup, never getting fully integrated into the smoothie.
5. If you don’t have a Bullet type blender, you can use a regular full-sized blender. Eliminate the stirring in step# 1, just add all the ingredients in the OPPOSITE order listed & blend until smooth.