Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Horsey Sauce
Seriously delicious & one of my favorite sandwiches that I actually get cravings for! Try this recipe & you’ll see what I mean.
For Horsey Sauce:
1/4 cup mayonnaise (Smart Balance light mayo is a good choice)
1 Tblsp ketchup
1 Tblsp Boar’s Head Pub Style Horseradish sauce
1 tsp spicy brown mustard
Fresh ground black pepper, 5 pepper mill turns
1/3 cup Italian dressing or vinaigrette
1 Tblsp pesto (either homemade or store bought)
1/2 to 2/3 lb chicken tenders (you’ll need 3 tenders per sandwich)
1 large red onion
1 large Portobello mushroom
Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Kosher or sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 Tblsp butter
Cobblestone toasted onion rolls (see Tip# 1)
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided (or experiment with other types of cheeses)
1. Add all the Horsey Sauce ingredients to a 1 cup glass bowl & stir till completely combined. Cover & refrigerate.
2. In a zip-top plastic bag, combine dressing & pesto. Add tenders & mix around till all the tenders are well coated. Get all the air out of the bag, seal it up & refrigerate for 4 to 5 hours.
3. Remove both the Horsey Sauce & chicken tenders from the frig & set aside. Line a large baking sheet with foil & grease with a little EVOO.
4. Cut 2 – 1/2″ thick slices from the onion. With the side of a spoon; ream out the gills & stem from the Portobello, then cut into 6 evenly sized slices.
5. Place on the baking sheet & liberally brush with EVOO. Season onions with salt & pepper. Season mushrooms only with pepper.
6. Broil 4″ from heat, with oven door slightly ajar, about 2 to 3 minutes each side. Remove mushrooms to a plate, break up onion layers & contnue broiling, just a minute or so, till onions are caramelized. Place mushrooms back on baking sheet, so they’ll stay warm while you cook the chicken. Set aside.
7. Put onion rolls on serving plates & smear a thin layer of Horsey Sauce on bottoms of rolls.
8. In a 10′ cast iron pan; heat butter & 1 tsp EVOO on med heat till very hot, approx 2 to 3 min. Add tenders, cover & cook 2 to 3 min each side till done… temperature should be 165°.
9. Place 3 tenders on each roll. Immediately add cheese, then mushrooms & onions, top with Horsey Sauce.
10. Add top bun, slice in half & serve right away (see Tip# 2).
Tips & Suggestions
1. Most larger supermarkets carry these rolls, generally found amongst the hamburger buns.
2. I usually serve these sandwiches with either chips or fries. Another serving option is a potato salad & coleslaw combo.