Holiday Fruit Side Dish
This delicious, comforting, healthy side dish is a welcome addition to any holiday meal. It’s so easy to prepare & so yummy, that you’ll want to serve it all year round. I created this dish in the early 1970’s when I cooked my very first Thanksgiving meal & I’ve been serving it ever since. No matter who I invited over for the holidays, they always asked me if I was going to serve this, and of course I said yes!
Serves 6 to 8
1 – 20 oz can pineapple slices in juice, not syrup (drained)
1 – 15oz can cling peach slices in juice, not syrup (drained)
1 – 15oz can pear halves in juice, not syrup (drained & sliced in half)
Optional: 2 greenish yellow, firm bananas (sliced thick)
1/4 cup light brown sugar, loosely packed
1 tsp Homemade Curry Powder (see recipe in the Herbs, Spices & seasonings category), do not use store bought curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg (see Tip# 2)
Butter, approximately 1 Tblsp
1. Preheat oven to 350°
2. Arrange the fruit, in the order listed, in a 13 x 9 x 2 glass baking dish.
3. In a small bowl; mix the sugar, curry, cinnamon & nutmeg. Sprinkle evenly over the fruit & dot with bits of butter.
4. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes & serve hot.
Tips & Suggestions
1. Save the fruit juice from all the cans, in small containers. Refrigerate or freeze to utilize in other recipes or smoothies, drink it straight or get creative & make a holiday cocktail with it.
2. In any recipe that calls for nutmeg, I always suggest using fresh grated nutmeg & not the store bought variety. The aroma & taste of fresh grated nutmeg is beyond compare!