Loaded Mexican Hot Dogs
Get out of the doldrums with the same old boring hot dog & move on to this spicy, tasty version! I usually serve these with baked sweet potato fries, stone ground corn tortilla chips or Terra (brand) exotic potato chips. A healthier option is a Mexican style side salad comprised of a handful of organic baby power greens like kale, spinach & chard combo topped with 1/3 cup of my Salsamole Two Ways or a side of my Corn & Black Bean Salad (see both recipes in the Mexican Food category).
Serves: 1 or 2
2 whole grain hot dog buns (see Tip# 1)
La Victoria Green Salsa Jalapeña extra hot or Mrs. Renfro’s Jalapeño Green Salsa
2 Tblsp diced onion or sliced scallion (divided)
Optional: crumbled leftover cooked bacon, finely chopped & drained tomato, leftover Refried Beans (see recipe in Vegetables & Beans category)
4 Tblsp shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
2 Hebrew National kosher hot dogs
1/4 Tblsp butter
Spicy brown mustard
Optional: Avocado Crema (see recipe in the Sauces, Gravies & Condiments category)
1. Smear entire inside of each bun with a thin layer of salsa, then add to each 1 Tblsp onion, any or all of the optional ingredients if using & 2 Tblsp cheese. Set aside.
2. Cut 3 to 4 diagonal slits in the hot dogs.
3. Melt butter in a small frypan on med-high heat. Add hot dogs & cover. Fry 1 to 2 minutes till starting to brown. Turn hot dogs over, cover & fry another 1 to 2 minutes till browned.
4. Immediately place a hot dog on top of the cheese in each bun, gently pressing down a bit.
5. Top with desired amount of mustard, some Avocado Crema (if using) & serve (see Tip# 2).
Tips & Suggestions
1. If you really want to load up these hot dogs, use larger buns like torpedo rolls that you can find in most supermarket bakeries.