A hearty & delicious sandwich that you’ll be craving once you’ve tasted it! A welcome addition to your repertoire for #MeatlessMonday & absolutely fantastic when served with my chilled Refreshing Mango Salsa Salad or Corn & Black Bean Salad (find both recipes in the Salads & Dressings category).
Credit: My recipe is a simplified version, adapted for the home cook, from a recipe by Chef Rick Bayless www.rickbayless.com
2 crusty, 7 to 8 inch long sandwich rolls (such as a demi baguette)
1 Tblsp extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
3 tsp fresh squeezed lime juice (divided)
1/2 pound mixed shiitake, baby Portobello & oyster mushrooms
1 to 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, stems removed & finely chopped
1 Tblsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 large roasted garlic clove, finely chopped (see recipe in Herbs, Spices & Seasonings category) & (see Tip# 1)
Kosher or sea salt
4 Tblsp crumbled goat cheese
2 cups organic baby arugula leaves or baby spinach/arugula mix
1. Slice the rolls in half lengthwise. With your fingers; scoop out a little of the bread along the middle of each half, creating shallow wells. Place bottom halves on a rimmed baking sheet & top halves on serving plates.
2. Remove stems from shiitakes, clean all the mushrooms & slice about 1/3 inch thick.
3. Add EVOO & 1 tsp lime juice to a 12 inch non-stick skillet. Heat over medium-high heat till hot.
4. Add mushrooms & fry till mushrooms are softened, browning slightly & beginning to sweat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat & stir in the chipotle, garlic, cilantro & 1/4 tsp salt.
5. Turn on oven broiler & move a rack to the second highest setting. In a bowl; toss the arugula with remaining 2 tsp lime juice & a little salt.
6. Sprinkle 2 Tblsp goat cheese evenly in the wells of each bottom half of bread.
7. Top each with 1/2 the mushroom mixture & broil 1 to 2 minutes till heated through.
8. Remove each half to serving plates & top each with half the arugula. Top with the remaining bread halves, slice sandwiches in half & serve.
Tips & Suggestions
1. Any chipotles leftover from the can; you can wrap them in plastic wrap & then in foil… label & date the package(s) & freeze to use in future recipes.
2. Don’t have any roasted garlic already made? Chop up a large, fresh garlic clove & add it to the skillet, along with the mushrooms, at step# 5.