Nana Sally’s Noodle Casserole
Handed down to me from my Nana… this casserole is loaded with dairy, but it’s ooooh so delish & a true comfort food. You’ll be craving it once you taste it!
Serves: 4 to 6 as a meal or 8 as a side dish
2 tsp kosher salt
8 oz medium egg noodles
3/4 stick organic butter (divided)
12 oz organic small curd cottage cheese
16 oz organic sour cream (divided)
1/2 cup organic milk
2 tsp table salt
2 large organic eggs, beaten well with a whisk
3/4 cup cornflake crumbs
Additional sour cream for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Using a paper towel; grease an 11 x 7 x 1.5 (2 quart) glass baking dish with 1/2 Tblsp softened butter.
3. Fill a 5.5 quart pot 3/4 full with water, add 2 tsp kosher salt & bring to a boil over high heat.
4. Add noodles, partially cover, return to a boil & cook noodles for only 3 minutes (see Tip# 1). Drain & return to pot.
5. Add 4 Tblsp butter to noodles, allow to fully melt & then stir.
6. Stir into noodles, one by one, in this order (see Tip# 2); cottage cheese, 1/2 the sour cream (8 oz) and then the milk. Add salt & eggs. Stir gently till well mixed.
7. Fold mixture into greased baking dish, making sure you get all the liquid (a rubber spatula can help with this). Even out & level the top with the back of a spoon.
8. Add the remaining 8 oz of sour cream (in small dollops). Then spread it out like a frosting all over the top.
9. Add cornflake crumbs. Spread & level off with your hands. Dot evenly with bits of butter. Bake for 1 hour on middle oven rack.
10. Leave on middle oven rack, turn on broiler & cook for 1 to 2 minutes just to give it a quick browning. Keep your eye on it so it won’t burn. Then cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
11. Cut into squares using a very sharp knife. Serve while it’s still hot. Top each serving with a little salt & a dollop of sour cream. Cover & refrigerate or freeze any leftovers. See Tip# 3 for reheating instructions.
Tips & Suggestions
1. You want to undercook the noodles as they will finish cooking in the oven.
2. It’s important to add all the cold ingredients before adding the eggs. Otherwise the eggs will start to cook like scrambled eggs.
3. To reheat; defrost or remove casserole from frig. Preheat oven to 375°. Place individual squares in a baking dish & cut each square in half. Bake 22 to 28 minutes till completely hot. Remove to serving plate, add a little salt, a dollop of sour cream & serve.