Pomegranate Pistachio Quinoa
A kick of spice, a burst of tang, a hint of sweetness & a nice bit of crunch makes this dish simply awesome & one you’ll want to make over & over again. It even makes a fantastic, healthy, anytime snack. Because of it’s color scheme this makes a perfect, healthy addition to your Christmas holiday table. Your family & guests are going to love it!
Serves: 4 as a side dish or 2 for a light meal
1 cup quinoa, any color or tri-colored
2 Tblsp coconut oil
1 Tblsp honey, preferably raw
3 Tblsp fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 3/4 of an organic lemon)
1 tsp Homemade Curry Powder (see recipe in Herbs, Spices & Seasonings category)
1/4 tsp kosher or sea salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup pomegranate arils (seeds)
2 average sized scallions, thinly sliced (about 1/3 cup)
1/4 cup roasted pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped (see Tip#1)
1. Cook quinoa (see recipe in Rice & Grains category). Uncover, fluff with a fork & set aside to cool 15 minutes.
2. Heat coconut oil on medium heat till melted & hot.
3. In a 2.5 quart glass bowl; briskly whisk hot coconut oil, honey, lemon juice, curry, salt & cinnamon till smooth.
4. Add cooked quinoa & gently toss till coated.
5. Add pomegranate, scallions & pistachios. Toss gently till well combined.
6. Serve barely warm or at room temperature (see Tip# 2 for more serving suggestions).
Tips & Suggestions
1. A mortar & pestle works great to break up the pistachio nuts to a “coarsely chopped” consistency.
2. To make a hearty meal for 2 or just to stretch it out to feed more people… add 1 cup of any of the following; hand torn cooked chicken meat, whole medium sized cooked shrimp, any roasted vegetable such as cauliflower, broccoli or red bell pepper, & serve on a bed of organic baby spinach leaves or baby spinach/kale/chard mix.