Power Salad with Orange Avocado Dressing
Ever hear of food synergy? It’s when certain superfoods are combined together to create an even healthier food. This recipe contains 3 examples of food synergy; Kale & Almonds, Avocado & Tomato, Orange & Avocado making this one delicious, super healthy salad. Definitely something you’ll want to add to your daily diet or at least a few times a week!
1/4 cup chopped Vidalia onion
1/2 Hass avocado, pitted & remove flesh from skin (see Tip# 1)
1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice or store bought not from concentrate
1 tsp fresh squeezed lime juice
1/8 tsp sea salt or Herbamare
Fresh ground black pepper, 6 pepper mill turns
1 1/2 tsp raw honey
1 large handful of organic baby kale, spinach & chard combo per salad
Few wedges cut from an organic tomato per salad
1 Tblsp chopped roasted almonds per salad
1. For the dressing; in this order… add onion, avocado, orange juice, lime juice, salt, pepper & honey into a small blender cup (like a Bullet).
2. Stir till the honey is combined & not sticking to the blender cup, puree till smooth & transfer to a bowl.
3. Completely cover with plastic wrap right up against the dressing, making sure there are no air pockets. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight to allow the ingredients to marry & mellow.
4. For the salad(s); combine the greens & tomato in a bowl. Top each with a dollop of dressing, then almonds & serve. If there’s any dressing leftover, reseal the bowl, refrigerate & use up within a few days.
Tips & Suggestions
1. For full instructions & step by step photos, see Avocado Facts & Preparing Techniques in the Fruit category.