Rich & Creamy Beef Stroganoff
Revised & updated 1/20/2021 – This rich & creamy Beef Stroganoff recipe is a true comfort food & was one of my daughter’s favorite recipes growing up. I’ve served this hundreds of times, to countless numbers of people, in the past 40 years & have always gotten rave reviews… even if you have other beef stroganoff recipes, give this one a try, you won’t be sorry!
4 Tblsp butter (divided)
1 medium yellow onion, cut into large bite-sized pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
12 oz mushrooms, sliced thick
1 1/2 lbs boneless sirloin, trim fat & cut into short, wide strips
2 3/4 cups organic beef broth (divided) & (see Tip# 1)
1 to 2 Tblsp minced fresh garlic (ok to use store bought minced garlic in a jar) & (see Tip# 2)
2 Tblsp ketchup
1 tsp kosher or sea salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, about 20 pepper mill turns
3 Tblsp flour
1 cup sour cream
16 oz medium egg noodles
For garnishing: desired amount of chopped fresh parsley or use a little dried
1. In a 4 to 5.5 quart Dutch oven; melt 1 Tblsp butter on med-high heat, cook & stir onions 3 min. Add 1 Tblsp butter & mushrooms, cook & stir another 2 min. Transfer to a bowl, cover & set aside.
2. In the same pot (still on med-high); add the remaining 2 Tblsp butter, cook & stir beef till it turns grey.
3. Stir in 2 cups of beef broth, garlic, ketchup, salt & pepper. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to low/warm, cover & simmer 45 min (see Tip# 1).
4. In a bowl; whisk the remaining 3/4 cup beef broth & the flour till completely blended, no lumps. Stir into meat along with onions & mushrooms. Bring to a boil over med-high heat & stir for 1 min.
5. Reduce heat to warm, stir in sour cream, cover & heat for 15 minutes.
6. While waiting; cook the egg noodles according to pkg directions, al dente. Drain & divide the noodles into bowls.
7. The stroganoff should be ready now… uncover & stir gently. Using a slotted spoon; top noodles with beef, mushrooms & onions. Then using a ladle, top each serving with sauce. Garnish with parsley & serve.
Tips & Suggestions
1. For a little different flavor; at step# 3 use only 1 1/2 cups of beef broth & add 1/2 cup of your favorite white wine.
2. If using fresh garlic, use between 1 to 1 1/2 Tblsp. If using garlic from a jar, use 1 1/2 to 2 Tblsp.