Roasted Lemon Potatoes
These potatoes are so delicious & easy to make. They compliment so many different dishes, especially seafood & steak. I love making a batch or two & freezing them in portions, so I always have some on hand ready to defrost & reheat when needed.
Serves: 5 – 8
2 1/2 – 3 lbs small organic Yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled, washed, dried & halved lengthwise
3 Tblsp extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
2 Tblsp butter
Juice & zest from 1 small organic lemon
2 Tblsp fresh thyme, chopped or 1 1/2 tsp dried
1 tsp kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper, 16-20 peppermill turns or to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Place potatoes in a large 4 quart glass baking dish.
3. Heat EVOO & butter in a small skillet over medium heat. When bubbling, stir constantly till butter starts foaming & turns golden brown.
4. Pour butter mixture over potatoes & toss to coat.
5. Spread potatoes out so they’re in a single layer, skin side down.
6. Bake on middle oven rack for 35 minutes.
7. Leave on middle rack & broil about 3 to 4 minutes till starting to brown slightly. Keep your eye on them so they don’t burn.
8. Remove from oven & let sit 5 minutes.
9. Add lemon juice, zest, thyme, salt & pepper. Toss gently till evenly coated & serve.
Tips & Suggestions
1. Freezing: at step# 9, just add the thyme salt & pepper. Don’t add lemon juice & zest. Cool to room temp & freeze in airtight containers, 6 to 8 pieces per person. Once reheated, add the appropriate amount of lemon juice & zest & serve. I’ve found the lemon juice breaks down the potatoes in the freezer.