Spicy Shrimp Skewers with Refreshing Mango Salsa Salad
Want something a little different for dinner? Give this recipe a try, it’s really tasty & has a bit of kick!
For Shrimp Skewers & Marinade:
4 – 10′ bamboo skewers
14 frozen x-large or jumbo shrimp, in peel & deveined
3/4 cup fresh cilantro including stems, packed
Juice & zest from 1 organic lime **reserve 2 tsp juice for Mango Salsa**
1 jalapeño, trim stem end, unseeded or remove seeds for less heat, then chop into eighths
2 Tblsp extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
2 tsp honey, preferably raw
For serving: cooked Jasmine Rice (see recipe in Rice & Grains category)
For Mango Salsa Salad:
1 mango, halved, seeded, peeled & cut into short strips
1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
2″ length of cucumber, peeled, cut in half lengthwise & thinly sliced (about 1/3 cup)
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
2 tsp La Victoria Green Salsa Jalapeña extra hot or 1 small jalapeño, seeded & finely chopped
2 tsp reserved lime juice from Shrimp Skewers
1/8 tsp kosher or sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper, 3 pepper mill turns
1. Soak skewers in water till ready to cook shrimp (see Tip# 1)
2. Place shrimp in a large bowl of cold water & let sit for 30 minutes. Drain, cover & refrigerate till ready to cook.
3. Mango Salsa Salad; add all the salsa salad ingredients to a 1.5 quart bowl & toss gently till well combined. Cover & refrigerate 2 to 4 hours to allow ingredients to marry & attain maximum flavor.
4. Marinade; put cilantro, lime juice, zest, jalapeño & oil in a food processor & process till smooth.
5. Peel shrimp (leave tail on), pat dry with paper towels & place in a glass bowl. Pour marinade over shrimp & toss till well coated. Cover & refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes (see Tip# 2).
6. Prepare Jasmine Rice (see recipe in Rice & Grains category) & set aside till ready to serve.
7. Thread 7 shrimp onto 2 skewers, side by side & slightly separated (see Tip# 3). Repeat with the other 7 shrimp. Discard the marinade.
8. Grill approximately 2 minutes on each side till shrimp are opaque. Do not overcook. You can also broil these in the oven on a foil lined baking sheet, about 5″ from heat, with the oven door slightly ajar for 2 minutes each side.
9. Serve shrimp skewers over rice with Mango Salsa Salad on the side.
Tips & Suggestions
1. Soaking the skewers prevents them from burning on the grill or in the oven.
2. Don’t leave the shrimp in the marinade for more than 30 minutes, as the acids will begin to cook the shrimp.
3. Doubling up on the skewers prevents the shrimp from rolling around when turning during cooking & serving.