Toasted Pine Nuts
I just love pine nuts especially when they’re toasted (aka Piñon pronounced “pin – yon” or Italian Pignolia or Pinoli). They’re a little on the pricey side, but what nuts aren’t these days & considering how healthy nuts are… they’re worth the cost!
Yield: 6 oz
10″ cast iron skillet
6 oz shelled pine nuts, divided (see Tip# 1)
1. Preheat your skillet on medium heat for 3 minutes till hot.
2. Add 1/2 the pine nuts (3 oz, so you don’t crowd the skillet) & gently stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes till they just start to brown slightly (lower heat if they brown too fast).
3. Remove to a small plate & refrigerate to cool.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 with remaining 3 oz of pine nuts. Then use in your recipe (see Tip#2).
Tips & Suggestions
1. Shelled pine nuts can be found in most major supermarkets. I like to buy a large amount & roast them all at the same time.
2. Store them either in the frig or freezer, in a covered glass container, so you’ll always have some on hand for salads, pesto or to use in other recipes.