Trout with Lemon Caper Butter Sauce
No matter the season, this recipe with it’s complimentary sauce is a “go to” for sure. The best part is that it goes from skillet to table in no time at all! Serve this with Jasmine Rice & a vegetable on the side or a small kale, spinach salad topped with a little Annie’s Goddess salad dressing & you have yourself a perfect, healthy meal.
Serves: 2 to 4
2 – 8oz steelhead or rainbow trout filets, halved lengthwise
Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt (divided)
Fresh ground black pepper, 1 pepper mill turn on each piece of trout
1/2 cup Pinot Grigio or other dry white wine
1 tsp lemon zest from an organic lemon
2 Tblsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp capers
1/2 tsp dried Herbes de Provence
2 Tblsp butter, cut into pieces
4 circular slices from an organic lemon
2 Tblsp coarsely chopped fresh parsley or 2 tsp dried
1. Remove trout from frig 30 minutes before preparing.
2. In the meantime, preheat oven to 200°, then turn off.
3. Coat the pieces of trout all over with a little EVOO & season top sides with salt & pepper.
4. Using a paper towel, coat a non-stick skillet with EVOO & heat over medium-high heat about 2 minutes till nice & hot.
5. Add trout to skillet skin side up, cover & cook 2 – 3 minutes on each side or until it flakes with a fork.
6. Remove trout to serving plates & place in your warm oven, until you make the sauce.
7. Reduce burner heat to medium. Add wine thru Herbes de Provence to skillet & cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly with a non-metal whisk.
8. Remove skillet from heat. Add butter & whisk constantly till butter is melted & sauce is smooth.
9. Remove plates from oven, spoon some sauce over each piece of trout, top with a lemon slice, sprinkle with parsley & serve.