Zesty Blueberry Muffins
The lemon zest in this recipe makes the flavor of the blueberries pop!
Yield: 12 muffins
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup organic cane sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs (preferably organic)
3/4 cup buttermilk or unsweetened plain almond milk
1/3 cup vegetable/canola oil
1 Tblsp lemon zest (from an organic lemon)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups frozen organic blueberries (see Tip# 1)
1. Preheat oven to 375° and line muffin pan with paper baking cups.
2. Sift together the first 5 dry ingredients (flour thru salt) into a medium bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the next 5 wet ingredients (eggs thru vanilla).
4. Stir egg mix into flour mix & stir until just moistened, but still lumpy. Do not over mix.
5. Fold in blueberries, mixing briefly until just combined.
6. Evenly fill each muffin cup until you’ve used all the batter.
7. Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
8. Let cool 5 minutes & remove muffins to a wire rack. Serve what you want & cool remaining muffins to room temp. Store in airtight containers in frig or freezer.
Tips & Suggestions
1. You can use fresh blueberries, but bake muffins at 350° for approx 18 to 20 minutes.
2. When you have a recipe calling for just lemon juice, zest an organic lemon & store it in a small glass container (like a spice jar) in the freezer. That way when you have a recipe calling for just zest, like this one, you’ll have it on hand & nothing goes to waste.